Saturday, July 19, 2008

Slowest ... poster .... ever ... but I'm "back"!

Hi all,

Wow, it's been a long time. I always say it, but it's true, school and now my internship have taken over my life. But, reading the MBA blogs out there for the first time in a few months has gotten me back on track ... there are SO many things to talk about regarding the last 12 months (quite easily the best year of my life) so I'm assuming the next few posts will just be random-ness about school and work ... enjoy!

2nd Term!

So as I've said many, many times before, I really do believe HBS is the best place on Earth. The 2nd semester flew by, probably even faster than the first. I tried to take a moment each day just to smile and be thankful for all the people I was surrounded by and all that I was getting to do, because I truly am quite fortunate to be able to live the life I do. Classes as a whole were interesting and quite different from first term. We took Finance 2; Business, Government and the International Economy; Strategy (BGIE); The Entrepreneurial Manager (TEM); Negotiation and Leadership and Corporate Accountability (LCA), all of which were interested and quite integrative across various business concepts. We had a variety of professors, but by far our favorite was for TEM. He was entertaining, caring, intelligent and challenged us everyday to think about the core aspects of startup ventures. Can't ask for much more. Another cool thing was that our LCA professor used to be the Finance Minister of a prominent country up through 2007 - who ever thought little old me would be learning from a big wig like him?

Section!
Man, how can I sum up the Section experience? After starting off strong we continued momentum through the end of the year, and when I think of next year and not having every class with this family (2nd year at HBS is all electives with a mix of people) I get a little nervous and super sad. I believe that having so many jokes and friendships in the class truly made us learn better and be more open about our experiences. For the last day I made a video including memories and compliments from and for all the students in the section and after we showed it, many people (including boys!) were crying. That was one of the moments I knew we had created something extraordinary. This summer we kicked off an "email a day" (as many sections do) to keep in touch ... basically everyday 1-2 people write the section updating everyone on what they have been doing all summer ... it's been a wonderful way to keep in touch ... and to continue to poke fun at each other.

School Co-President!

By far, the most humbling thing to happen to me this term was to be elected Co-President of the HBS Student Body with one of my fellow classmates. I made the decision to run at the last minute (not shocking to those who followed my bschool application process) and literally submitted my name an hour before the deadline. We ran against 3 other teams and after posters, visits to different sections, a debate and lots of emails we were lucky to win! Months later, I still can't believe it's true, and in a weird way I feel like it validates my admissions to HBS (I guess they really DO want me here, ha). My coolest moment all year came off this win. My Co-Pres and I found out on a Thursday night that we had won. I had been at a play with my Section, so we went to a pub and a club after to celebrate. The next day, Friday, we had class (ha we aren't like slacker bschools and actually have class 5 days a week! kidding...). The first class was BGIE and about halfway through I raised my hand to make a comment. As soon as I started talking the entire class started cheering and stood up and yelled and screamed for me. The moment literally brought me to tears, as having the support and pride of 89 of the smartest, most successful, amazing people was more than I have ever felt. I truly believe that only at HBS are sections this close. Anyway, the job has been super busy but super fun so far. It's so awesome to get an inside view of how HBS really runs and to be able to represent our fellow students to the higher-ups. Hopefully, we'll make everyone proud!

Ok, that's a lot for now, there's lots more to write about ... and it will come soon enough. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to reconnecting with my fellow blogging friends :)

Always,

AGirlsMBA

To Come:
Africa and Costa Rica!
Interning at the best company EVER!
Admits/Next Year

3 comments:

OMGparishilton said...

yours is probably the second most concise and to the point mba blog that i've read..
keep up the good work

DC Blogger said...

Hey,

I think you have a great blog and I love reading about your experiences at HBS. Congratulations on becoming the co-president!

I plan to be a reapplicant to HBS this coming year. Last year I applied and was interviewed and then ultimately denied admission. I'd like to hear any advice that you may have on reapplicants and/or interviews. Ultimately, I believe I came accross strong in the application but did not let my personality shine in the interview.

Thanks in advance!

Ankur said...

Thanks for this really nice posting. Keep it up........

http://www.bestschoolsformba.blogspot.com/